We’re hiring a Press Strategist
Applications are due by: April 15, 2022
About UsSamara Collective is a worker-owned strategic media and communications firm. We are a democratically-run, 100% remote, national organization. The majority of our diverse membership identifies as women, people of color, and queer. Together we bring more than seventy years of experience in organizations — ranging from labor unions to political campaigns to nonprofits and small businesses — working on social issues including healthcare, racial justice, voting rights, community-led processes, environmental justice, transportation, the arts, and supporting other worker cooperatives.
MissionOur mission is to partner with values-based organizations to develop long-term creative pathways to progress via strategic communications and capacity building. We build power by creating spaces where people can bring their whole selves to the work that they do and by giving voice to the stories that will shape our future.
VisionWe envision a more equitable world where communities have the agency to create sustainable change and the bridges needed to build deeper connections between them.
Create Press Strategy
- Developing long and short term press strategies for a range of clients.
- Developing press lists for international, national and local markets
- Advising client on outreach plans
- Analyzing the media landscape for client issue area(s)
- Conducting listening sessions with client and partner(s) re: press needs
- Mentorship to clients and partners’ press and communications teams as needed
- Writing press releases, advisories, op-eds and letters for clients
- Writing talking points and speeches for client media appearances
- Conducting outreach, pitching and follow-up with reporters
- Planning and coordinating virtual and in-person press conferences as needed
- Providing post-event media analysis
Conduct Press Trainings
- Spokesperson Trainings
- Message development trainings
- Audience Segmentation Trainings
- Overview of Types of Media Trainings
- Deep Narrative Trainings
We offer competitive, equitable pay rates, flexible hours and working location, and pathway to business ownership (equity – with annual profit-sharing).
- Compensation: $65,100 annually — Samara has a transparent pay scale with a 1:1.15 ratio between the highest-paid and lowest-paid employees. This is the starting salary for all new staff members, with pathways for pay increases with seniority and added member responsibilities.
- Benefits: Samara prioritizes reducing healthcare costs for employees and provides a generous benefits package by covering: 100% of healthcare premiums and deductibles via a Health Reimbursement Arrangement. We also provide dental coverage through the USFWC. Full-time employees also receive floating holidays and 3 weeks vacation. We offer an optional FSA (Flexible spending account for medical expenses, a dependent care FSA and disability and accident insurance.
- Hours: Full Time (30 hours/week)
- Location: Remote – We are a distributed national organization with members and employees in California, D.C., Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, and Rhode Island. New staff are able to work from wherever they live.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Has a demonstrated passion for Samara Collective’s mission and the work of our client partners; strong alignment with diversity, equity, and inclusion values
- Has experience in public relations, press outreach, writing and copy editing, social media content strategy and account management
- Has a strong command of Google Suite applications and can quickly learn new tech applications like Zoho (CRM and project management software)
- Has strong interpersonal, communication, and relationship-building skills; able to interface with various and diverse stakeholders, groups and individuals
- Has excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience
- Existing press contacts
- Experience with the following platforms and applications
- General: GoogleSuite, Excel, Adobe Suite, ZOHO
- Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Press: Meltwater, Cision
Your turn! We’d like to learn about you.
We strongly encourage queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, disabled, immigrants and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression to apply.
Please submit a brief writing sample, your resume, portfolio (if applicable), and a cover letter telling us why you are interested in our team and this role!
Submit materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2022.
As of this posting, the majority of our diverse membership identifies as women, people of color, and queer. We are proud to be an equal employment opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, physical disability, veteran status or length of time spent unemployed.
Note: Samara Collective reserves the right to add additional duties as needed with consent of the worker. All worker-owners are encouraged to be flexible and responsive to changes in scope of duties.