We’re hiring a Web Designer + Strategist
Applications are due by: September 11th
About UsSamara Collective is a worker-owned strategic media and communications firm. We are a democratically-run, 100% remote, national organization. The majority of our diverse membership identifies as women, people of color, and queer. Together we bring more than seventy years of experience in organizations — ranging from labor unions to political campaigns to nonprofits and small businesses — working on social issues including healthcare, racial justice, voting rights, community-led processes, environmental justice, transportation, the arts, and supporting other worker cooperatives.
MissionOur mission is to partner with values-based organizations to develop long-term creative pathways to progress via strategic communications and capacity building. We build power by creating spaces where people can bring their whole selves to the work that they do and by giving voice to the stories that will shape our future.
VisionWe envision a more equitable world where communities have the agency to create sustainable change and the bridges needed to build deeper connections between them.
Web Designer + Strategist
Web Design & Development
- Lots of web design, including creating mood boards and design mockups
- Advising clients on web strategy
- Setting up new and optimizing existing WordPress installations
- Hosting and domain setup
- Developing interactive features, such as maps, charts, or timelines
- Ensure compliance with data protection and accessibility standards
- SEO optimization: Setting up WordPress with Math Rank or Yoast; Make sure Google Search Console is optimized; Optimizing file names before upload to websites; Adding geolocation metadata if relevant
- Create educational videos and written tutorials for clients
- Provide technical support to clients
Data & Analytics
- Build, clean & manage databases
- Set up integrations & automations on Zapier, Airtable, Hubspot, NGPvan, etc.
- Set up & maintain Google Analytics on websites, supporting with goals, conversions and custom reports
- Copy-editing of website content and support with blog posts and social media posts
- Transcribe and caption videos to create accessible content
- Design simple social media graphics with Canva, Adobe or design tool of your choice
- Has experience with WordPress, strong visual design skills, setting up integrations and analytics
- Comfort with working independently, excellent time management and prioritization, clear communication skills and ability to set realistic expectations with co-workers and clients
- Has a strong command of Google Suite applications and can quickly learn new tech applications like Wrike (CRM and project management software)
- Has a demonstrated passion for Samara Collective’s mission and the work of our client partners; strong alignment with diversity, equity, and inclusion values
- Has strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills; able to interface with various and diverse stakeholders, groups and individuals
- Strong writing and messaging development
- Experience with leading clients from branding through a web design process
- Experience with the following platforms and applications:
- General: GoogleSuite, Excel, Wrike
- Design: Adobe Suite
- Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
We offer competitive, equitable pay rates, flexible hours and working location, and pathway to business ownership (equity – with annual profit-sharing).
- Compensation: $65,100 annually — Samara has a transparent pay scale with a 1:1.15 ratio between the highest-paid and lowest-paid employees. This is the starting salary for all new staff members, with pathways for pay increases with seniority and added member responsibilities.
- Benefits: Samara prioritizes reducing healthcare costs for employees and provides a generous benefits package by covering: 100% of healthcare premiums and deductibles via a Health Reimbursement Arrangement. We also provide dental coverage through the USFWC. Full-time employees also receive floating holidays and 3 weeks vacation. We offer an optional FSA (Flexible spending account for medical expenses, a dependent care FSA and disability and accident insurance.
- Hours: Full Time (30 hours/week)
- Location: Remote – We are a distributed national organization with members and employees in California, D.C., Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, and Rhode Island. New staff are able to work from wherever they live.
We strongly encourage queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, disabled, immigrants and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression to apply.
To Apply, please complete our questionnaire, which includes a place to upload your resume and link to your portfolio.
Submit materials by September 11th. Reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions.
Note: Samara Collective reserves the right to add additional duties as needed with consent of the worker. All worker-owners are encouraged to be flexible and responsive to changes in scope of duties.